Monday, October 15, 2012

The Meek Shall DIG the Earth



My father and I used to do a lot of metal detecting when I was a kid.   We would hunt for civil war relics.  He carried his metal detector everywhere he went...  Somewhere in the process of growing up I forgot how much fun we had.

Fast forward about 25 - 30 years.  Dad has moved on...  Bless his heart!  I am grown, and have tried nearly every sport \ hobby known to mankind.  Through years of working with technology in complex corporate environments I have longed for a return to the simple things.

What simple things you ask?  How about the things that you can do every day and have a damn good time doing - without spending a bunch of cash??   People have forgotten how to do that!!  WELL I HAVE FOUND IT...  A return to the days of old where fun times are always right around the bend...  Where you don't have to spend a dime to have  good time...  Where you don't even need to have a friend along for the adventure... Where you can disconnect from the world and all of it's madness...  And the lure of hidden treasure is ever present!!  :)  That's right!  I have taken up the hobby of METAL DETECTING and I am having a blast.

Metal Detecting is an awesome hobby.  Once you start you are hooked.  Once you ding your first penny you are hooked!   You begin to think about the areas near you as possible sites for metal detecting adventures.   Every landscape becomes a possibility.  You begin to think beyond all of the things going on now and imagine the terrain in the past.  The world becomes alive in new ways.  You can take your metal detector with you anywhere.

As a metal detectorist you get great exercise.   I have spend entire days on the beach walking, scanning, and digging.  Great sites, awesome visuals, fresh air, and exercise.  I think back to the days I used to waste in the gym...  Sure it was fun... But this is REAL!

I've been metal detecting for about a month now.  I already know this is something that will stick with me for the rest of my life!  I was just thinking about the good times with my dad...  And then I thought to myself "I should try that again.".  That same day I ordered a new Garrett Ace 350 metal detector and   I was ready to go that weekend.

My first dig was my very own sidewalk...  I found a quarter, a dime, and three pennies.  The ACE 350 had correctly identified all of these coins.   I knew right then I was onto something good.  :)

As I go on my adventures I will post my findings here.  I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment